Friday, August 5, 2011

Gizzi’s

On West Eighth Street between MacDougal and Fifth Avenue is a coffee house style restaurant with charm, atmosphere, and most importantly interesting and good food that is affordable. I was drawn in by the menu posted outside, and a glance inside welcomed me.

With sofa seating as well as tables, the coffee house provides a variety of options. Just plop onto a sofa and have a coffee while reviewing your emails, or order lunch off the blackboard menu. Oh, the waiter will offer you a printed menu, also, but I like reading through the colored chalk on the blackboard.

Gizzi’s Pear Salad was refreshing on a hot summer afternoon. The greens were chopped with cranberries, walnuts, feta cheese and chunks of pear with a pear dressing. I sighed when it was placed in front of me — it was huge. But, oh so tasty. As I consumed the salad, I glanced over at the refrigerator display touting all the desserts — from cupcakes to cheesecake and coconut cake, to .... Well, I did not finish the salad in one sitting so I didn't order dessert.

On a subsequent visit, I ordered a sandwich of portobello mushroom, pesto, mozzarella cheese and lettuce on focaccia bread. On the side was a salad of mixed greens and grape tomatoes. Delicious. I forced myself to finish and then had a café au lait for dessert. The coffee and beverage menu is extensive. Breakfast seems to be served all day, with a variety of omelettes suggested.

Each lunch came in at just $10 and change...affordable for lunch in NYC.

A flat screen TV plays on the back wall, and music is just loud enough to hear what is playing, but not so loud that you cannot hear the waiter. The decor is eclectic, with large paintings hanging on the wall over the lounging booths, and perched down the far end is a raised platform for entertainers on the weekend. In the front window are round tables, and behind them a sofa with low tables for easy reach of your laptop.

I asked who Gizzi is and was told by the waiter he doesn’t know. He was not sure if a Gizzi exists. When I asked where the name came from, he said it was probably just an interesting name. The restaurant is open for just a year. Casual, enticing, and offering good food.

If you are in the area, stop and have a bite and enjoy the surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment